Yesterday i knuckled down and finished a scarf that I started back in November. It was hanging around half done and I felt it was stifling me a bit. i didn’t feel like I could start a new project with it sitting there. In fact, at the moment I am in the mood to rip out any UFOs that have been in the naughty corner and have a completely fresh start. That may happen this afternoon.
But the scarf………Pattern: ABABA scarf (ravelry link)
Yarn: Regia Hand-dyed effect sock yarn
Mods: there is a mistake in the pattern, it should say ‘cast on 50 sts’.
The pattern is basically 5 rows of stocking stitch followed by 5 rows of reverse stocking stitch. This produces the spongey effect. There is an increase at the beginning of each row and a decrease in the middle of each row which produces the V-shape. Simple but effective.
The yarn was a little rough and sometimes splitty. I don’t think I would like a pair of socks made from it. Although I haven’t washed it so it may soften up. I think the problem lies in the fact that the nylon strand is wound around the wool. (Click the above photo for a close up and you can see it).
I took the scarf down to the LYS this morning to show them, as I bought the yarn there, and as i probably won’t wear this scarf at the moment I offered to lend it to them for display so that other customers could see the effect of the long colour transitions knit up. They said “yes please” so it is currently on display at Stash Fine Yarns in Chester.