Yuck I have a looooooooong afternoon of ironing ahead of me, so I’m doing this post now.
I have been wanting to try a Castile soap for a while now. A Castile soap is a 100% olive oil soap. However, advice on the Fresholi forum suggested that this can make for a slimy soap and to add a little of something else as well. So I went for a 80/10/10 percent split of olive, castor and coconut oils. No colour or fragrance added.
I got five 140g bars from my 500g of oils. Apparently this slightly adulterated version of Castile is known as Bastile in soapmaking circles! Because of the high olive oil content to this soap, it has to cure for at least 3 months rather than one, and ideally it should cure for as long as possible, so I’m not expecting it to be useable any time soon!!
However, quite a few of my previous attempts are now “mature” and I’ve been dishing out samples for feedback. It all seems to be quite positive so far, however none of the people who have tried it are soap makers themselves so this week I am doing a mini swap with 3 other newish soap makers so we can all try each others’ and know we are on the right track. I’ll be posting mine off tomorrow so hopefully I’ll get some back soon! It’s quite exciting – but I just hope theirs aren’t totally fabulous and make me lose all my confidence!! I lost it a bit after the Honeysuckle trauma, but I can’t let that stop me. It has actually turned out to be a nice soap if you ignore all the rough edges!
So with an eye to the future, I went to town yesterday and opened a new account at the bank, and I shall be buying a domain name for my website (can’t reveal it until I own it!), getting my safety assessment and insurance, and taking a stall at the local farmer’s market before Christmas. Whew, fun times ahead!!