All my patterns can be found in my Ravelry Download Store
Tangled Cowl by Donna Clerkin
Description: A textured cowl which gives a dense fabric. Simple to remember stitch pattern but needs a bit of concentration. Knit all in one piece in the round to the length you desire. The smaller size will be more fitted while the larger is a bit more loose if you don’t like something too tight around your throat.
Sizes: There are 2 sizes, the smaller will give a 50cm diameter, and the larger will give a 60cm diameter.
- 100g (approx 220m) of Aran/Worsted weight yarn
- 6mm circular needle, 40cm long for the smaller size, 60cm long for the larger.
- 4.5mm needle (for binding off only)
- stitch marker
Yarn used in the example: Araucania Nature Wool Multy.
- CO – cast on
- sts – stitches
- C4F – slip 2 stitches to cable needle and hold at front. Knit next 2 stitches followed by the 2 sts from the cable needle.
- C4B – slip 2 stitches to cable needle and hold at back. Knit next 2 stitches followed by the 2 sts from the cable needle.
- BO – bind off
Tension: 26sts/10cm in pattern. (Note: On the knit rounds, try to keep your tension fairly loose as it helps on the cable rounds.)
On 6mm circular needle, CO 128 (156) sts. Join in the round taking care not to twist the stitches, and place your stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round.
Knit 1 round.
- Round 1: C4F, repeat to end of round
- Round 2: Knit all stitches
- Round 3: Slip 2 stitches purlwise, C4B to last 2 stitches. Slip last 2 stitches purlwise, remove marker and slip the 2 stitches back to the left hand needle. C4B, remembering to replace the marker in the middle of these 4 stitches.
- Round 4: Knit all stitches (the first 2 stitches of this round will already have been knit as part of the last C4B on previous round).
(Note: You may find it less time consuming if you can cable without a cable needle.)
Repeat these 4 rounds until you have approx 5g of yarn left over (or to the height preferred), ending after a plain knit round.
Using the smaller needle (4.5mm) BO all stitches, and weave in ends.
Block the cowl as required.
(You are welcome to use this pattern for free, for your own use. Please do not copy this pattern or sell any items made from it without permission of the designer. Thank you.)